Please sign our Back in a Heart Beat petition
Join with us to raise awareness for our vision of “No more Deaths from Cardiac Arrest“
Sign the petition and share it in your networks and help us to save lives.
To the Australian State & Territory governments and Work Safe authorities, minutes matter to save a life and we ask that OH&S & WHS legislation be amended to include automated external defibrillators (AED) in first aid kits in the workplace and public spaces.
A sudden cardiac arrest is:
- Over 560 times more likely to occur than a fire related fatality.
- 28 times more likely to occur than a road trauma death.
- 3 times more likely to occur than death caused by the four major cancers combined
Sudden cardiac arrest can strike anyone of any age, anywhere and anytime.
Without early defibrillation less than 10% of cardiac arrest victims survive. If bystanders can apply an automated external defibrillator before the arrival of emergency services the likelihood of survival can increase to over 80%
Urban Lifesavers objectives
The purpose of Urban Lifesavers is to establish a national campaign to educate ordinary people and empower them to become Urban Lifesavers by:
- Raising public awareness of the incidence and significance of sudden cardiac arrest
- Raising public awareness of the time sensitive urgency of treating sudden cardiac arrest. The likelihood of survival is dependent upon bystanders acting quickly, and applying an automated external defibrillator (AED) to get the victim back in a normal heart beat.
- Promoting the importance of education in how to become an Urban Lifesaver by recognising a cardiac arrest and applying an AED without delay
- Raising funds for AED education programs and widespread AED distribution in the community
- Lobbying Government for legislative change to make AED’s mandatory inclusions in first aid kits the same way fire extinguishers and smoke alarms are compulsory equipment.